Gallery

Monday, March 19, 2012

Can You Dig It, Man?


Groovy Baby! Okay, so after I saw the new Dark Shadows trailer, I was inspired to do this piece. I've been reading people's reaction to the trailer online, and it has been interesting to say the least. Many Dark Shadows fans are crying 'Foul' and are outraged by the comedic tone that the film seems to have taken. Although you can't always judge a film by it's trailer, it will be interesting to see if the second trailer is the same or if it plays up the darker elements of the film. For me personally, I can't wait! I think it looks like a lot of fun. I follow the blog 'Dark Shadows News Page' and today he had an excellent, thoughtful post on the new Dark Shadows movie, and I encourage all of you to read it (click here). It sums up how I feel about the movie, and written much better than I could have done.

I'm really hoping that this movie turns out to be great. I was a big Tim Burton fan for many years, up until he made re-made 'Planet of the Apes'. After that, I just didn't have the same enthusiasm I once had for his films. 'Corpse Bride' was the biggest disappointment ever.

So in case you haven't seen it, here it is. The sticky sweet seventies Dark Shadows trailer:


And here's the song 'Our Favorite Vampire' by Vampire State Building. With images from a comic spoof called 'Darn Shadows'. I'd love to have that comic!


Those of you interested in seeing classic Dark Shadows images from me, you'll be happy to know that I'm doing a series of characters from the show for an upcoming issue of Video Watchdog.

5 comments:

  1. Its nice to see I'm not the only one who thought the trailer looked like the movie would be a good time at the flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I'm actually kind of surprised at all the outrage the trailer has spawned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! What didn't you like about Corpse Bride? And I shared your feelings on Planet of the Apes.

    Another awesome piece by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The film looks great! and I love your illustration Belle.. It really captures the spirit of the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Kenan, I'm not sure what it was about 'Corpse Bride'. I think I was just expecting to like it as much as I liked 'Nightmare Before Christmas' (even though Tim Burton didn't even direct that one). I didn't really like the Bride character very much and the plot kind of revolves around her. I actually have not seen it in many years and thought sometime I might want to try to watch it again. I bought a copy on DVD for $3, so I own it. It looks beautiful. And I liked the design of the Victor & Victoria characters so much I bought the action figures. Maybe I need to watch it again so I can make another evaluation.

    Thanks Shane!

    ReplyDelete